Packing list for Dreamforce ’10
September 1, 2010 4 Comments
Dreamforce ’10 is rapidly approaching. This is my first pass at a packing list:
- Power strip – I made a lot of friends at Dreamforce ’09 by bringing a powerstrip. I kept it in my backpack and whenever I landed in a session I whipped it out. Instant popularity!
- Business cards – Bring lots! You will meet lots of great people. All of whom will want to remember you later. Help them remember by having a business card handy! Be sure to have a place to put their business card too!
- Old call phone chargers – You probably have a couple in your junk drawer at home. Someone will need to charge their phone and you can be a hero by having a spare.
- An empty bag – This is for all the stuff you’ll come away with. Heck, ship it back to yourself if you can’t stomach the airlines’ bag fees.
- Swag requests – Co-workers will LOVE you for finding their favorite desk toy (Blinking pens? Chattering teeth? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)
- A jacket – San Fran can be chilly and so can the session rooms. Bring a jacket!
- Chocolate chip cookies
- A sense of humor – The lines for the coffee can be long. Sessions can be overcrowded. The keynote is likely to be PACKED. Be willing to laugh off the logistic gymnastics the Salesforce folks had to go through to get 20,000+ people together!
- Walking shoes – Screw looking great, the Moscone Center is big and so is San Fran. Don’t get caught in uncomfortable shoes! Your feet will thank you.
In a similar vein, here are some things to leave at home:
- Personal space issues – You can’t put 20,000+ people in a building and not be crowded. Can’t be done. Be patient with each other!
- Delusions of getting enough sleep – Last year there was at least one after-party each night. You will be tired, but the people you’ll meet and the fun you have will make it all worth while. Besides, you can sleep on the plane ride home!
What will you be bringing to Dreamforce ’10? What did you bring last year that you should have left at home?